I have never been one to mix different patterns together in a outfit, I guess I’ve been preaching that you should all step outside the box with style but I haven’t led by example. I’m loving the latest pattern on pattern mixes on the runway and got inspired to finally step out of my safe zone.
For those that are hesitant to mix different patterns, I would advice that when you are picking you’re patterns follow these simple steps;
- Choose one dominant print (my jacket in this case) and one as an accent.
- Mix your patterns on different scales (longer jacket and shorter top etc.).
- Keep your fabrics in the same colour range (a theme in colours).
- If your using the same pattern, choose one to be a larger print of the pattern and the other piece of clothing to have a smaller print of the same pattern.
- You can tone down the look with one plain colour (skirt in my case).
- When in doubt, a striped piece will normally always go with a polka dot piece.
With some of these guidelines, I had some fun playing around with these patterns but since I am just starting to explore my pattern combinations, I toned it down with a plain black skirt. Be inspired and try something new this Easter holiday.
Head to Toe: LA ELEGANT KENYA