2 years ago, I made the decision to try and host a Christmas dinner each year at my house for friends and family. I love hosting dinners and parties, I guess you can say I get a thrill from watching other people enjoy something I put together?
I normally head to Pinterest for a bunch of ideas and this year I put myself to a test to try and do it on a budget. I had roughly 14 people to cater for and a total budget of $150. Ok so I checked out all the recipes I love to use during Christmas and realised I would definitely go over! I had to reanalyse the way I approach this dinner.
Finally on the day of the party I managed to scramble together a recipe list which you can now find below for a feast to feed your friends and family this holiday season, that won’t break the bank:
Creamy Mashed Potatoes:
14 – Large Potatoes
4 Table Spoons -Salt
3 table spoons- Blueband (Butter)
2 table spoons – Mixed Herb Mix
1½ cups – Maziwa Lala (Butter Milk)
- Start by washing and peeling the potatoes, then pop them into a pot with boiling water and make sure you only take them out once fork can easily slice through 2/3 random potatoes.
- Drain the potatoes and place them in a large blender (even if its 3 potatoes at a time) add maziwa lala, salt and butter and blend.
- When it is a creamy texture, pour it into a large serving dish and sprinkle the mixed herb mix on top.
2 Bags – Carrots
1 Bag Zucchini
3 tablespoons – Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Salt
1 tablespoon Spanish Paprika
- Chop the carrots and zucchini into round thin slices
- Place them on an oven tray and combine all the ingredients together
- Bake at 180° for 20mins or until medium crispy
Sticky Ginger and Soy Chicken
7 – Packets of Chicken wings and legs
1/3 – cup of soy
1/3 cup of brownsugar
4 tablespoons of Freshly ground Ginger
4 Tablespoons of Ground Garlic
1.Start by pre-heating your oven to 180º, then place foil on your baking tray.
2. Place the chicken in a big mixing bowl and rub the ingredients above into it.
3. Once done, pour the mixture onto the baking tray and make sure the foil then covers the chicken so it cooks slowly and doesn’t burn it.
4. Cook slowly while turning it every 20 mins until very soft and well cooked. Cook for the next 2 hours and its ready to serve.
6 large onions
4 tablespoons of salt
1 lemon squeezed
- start by chopping up the onions and tomatoes finely and place in a large bowl. Add the other ingredients and mix well and place in the fridge ready to serve.
Balsamic Glazed Mushrooms
2 large packets of mushrooms
½ a cup of Balsamic Vinegar
1 spoon of Mixed herbs
- Wash then place the mushrooms into a cooking pot, on medium heat start cooking and after a minute add the balsamic vinegar and place a lid on top.
- After 6 minutes put your cooker off and place in a serving dish, sprinkle the mixed herbs and t’s ready to go.
Comment below if you try any of the recipes and how it works out for you?